In the upcoming picture book, Theodore the Hedgehog Finds a Friend, young readers will discover the true spirit of friendship and acceptance from Theodore the hedgehog and Sofia the Tortoise.
Theodore wants nothing more than to be friends with the other animals in the forest, but they are scared of him because of his prickly spines. He is so lonely that he’s willing to do anything to make the other animals like him – even turn himself inside out…literally!
Soon he meets Sofia, and with her help, he discovers that a true friend appreciates you for who you are—and that we all have a unique place in the world. Theodore the Hedgehog Finds a Friend is the perfect conversation starter with youngsters about both self-acceptance and acceptance of others.
I had a chance to learn more in this interview with author Nastya Ryabtseva.
What was the inspiration behind this book?
I came up with a song about a hedgehog. Somewhere in the process of creating my song, a story appeared about a hedgehog turning itself inside out because of something hurting inside it.
I think another influence may have been the fact that, at the time, I had a job in workshops employing people with special mental needs. While working there, I witnessed this feeling of being different, of being somehow unlike everyone else. I noticed it often.
Why are books with animal characters appealing to kids?
Animals are beautiful!
But there is something else I love about them. They remind us that everything in the world is alive, that everything has its own feelings and qualities. You can find a way to communicate with anyone, even when you have no idea (at first) how to do it.
I think this can help children develop a sense of trust in the world. When you are a child, trust is absolutely essential. You need trust to grow, to explore, and make sense of things.
Why is it important for kids to learn both how to accept others and how to accept themselves?
To be honest, I think adults need to keep learning how to accept others too.
When we accept someone, we are already on their side. We don’t have to spend our energy fighting against them anymore. That energy becomes available. We can use it for discovery, for support, and for expanding our view of the world and gaining new perspectives.
The same is true when it comes to ourselves. Accepting yourself often means that you no longer have to be at war with yourself. You are no longer at war, so now you are free to use that newfound energy to grow, to discover, and to truly become yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment